Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Ooh, it's a good sign, I think, I hope

Got in late tonight after playing at the dog park this afternoon and spending several hours at today's lesson to the point where my brain is nigh unto bursting with new things to contemplate and hopefully remember on demand.

Today in the mail I got a copy of a criminal background check that had been requested by the library I interviewed at the other day. It had the state court's address and I was 'oh, crap, what's wrong, am I being sued? More issues with the traffic folks?' No, actually, it was just a form saying there had been a request and what information had been sent. I'm taking that as a very good sign. Interview, checking my references, and now paying money to make sure I'm on the up and up. That's good, right?

I've reached a point where I seem to be just holding my breath. If I don't get this job, then my already precarious financial state is going to get even worse, and I'm about this (imagine a miniscule amount between my fingers) close to bankruptcy, something that I have put off for many years because I don't want to dodge my responsibilities. But...I just can't make it on the post-layoff salary, and it isn't so much making stupid mistakes as just having been terribly behind for way too long and not having any sort of cushion. The scary thing? I'm not anywhere near the poverty threshold...which runs $9,573 for my age and household, about $4500 less than what I gross per year. How do people below that line survive at all? I guess I'm what's known as the working poor--not eligible for food stamps or other forms of assistance, but still only about 146% of that line. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck in finding a bridging low-paying-not-in-my-field part-time job, despite applying at several retail outlets, temporary agencies, etc. The good things, though, are that I'm not living off credit cards or other ways people who make more money get tripped up. I'm keeping things simple, with rent, electricity, and medical expenses the main worries, and no cable or phone or other luxuries. But it's getting harder to keep up with those. Still, I've got a lot of hope, especially with those three jobs open. Perhaps others might not be interested in a part-time job without benefits. I certainly have the experience, skill, and personality to be an asset to the library. I just hope they'll want me. Library jobs, no matter what they tell you of impending shortages due to the greying of the profession, are simply hard to get, particularly in the recent oeconomy, especially if you live in an area with a library school. Entry level jobs are the worst. I'm at least lucky enought to have enough experience that mid-career level positions are possible. And at least the job market does seem to be improving. This time last year in this area there was a howling desert where jobs should be. Now at least they're being advertised and even filled (as opposed to that horrendous we'll-advertise-but-have-no-intention-of-filling-with-an-external-candidate-if-any situation you sometimes see).

If I can get one of the jobs available at the public library, then there will be much happiness, because:
  • The three jobs together will gross about $34K per year, which is about $10K more than I've ever made and would certainly make for a respectable living where I could actually (horrors!) do things like pay bills on time, build a general savings, and put away for my retirement. Even without benefits at the public library, that's fine, because my current position has great benefits, even though it's $3/hr less in salary. So they all balance nicely.
  • I'll be in a professionally unique situation, because I'll be both a medical and public librarian, with perspectives from both.
  • I'll be able to serve a much wider, more challenging set of information needs.
  • I'll learn more about librarianship, and finally...
  • I'll actually get to spend time with other librarians. Being a solo librarian is rather nice sometimes, but you do have to do your routine without a safety net. Having other librarians around means having instant resources available not only for yourself but also for your patron. None of us can be an expert in everything, although a lot of us try. It's always nice to know whom you can call over when needed.


So, anyway, things are looking good and I just hope I get a call saying, 'come on down!' this week. Please, please, please, please, please. :) Keep your fingers crossed!

And I'm sorry I've blogged so much about financial stuff this week. I really try not to whign. But I've got a lot of notices I can't begin to cover lately and I'm really starting to feel overwhelmed. Still, at least I'm doing okay. One of the cashiers at Kroger's we talk to each night when we go told us she was moving back to West Virginia, because it was so expensive in Lexington (housing, for example, is just rediculour), her parents were seriously ill, and there were kids in the family to take care of. Shew!! Or, I have a co-worker who underwent a kidney transplant the other day, donated by his sister. Turns out he has some odd genetic disease that destroys the kidneys. That means that his kids could be carriers or even wind up with it, too. That's got to have an emotional and financial toll far beyond anything I've experienced. It always helps to keep things in perspective, n'cest pas?

PS Speaking of difficult times, poor Dwana has spent the weekend so far fighting a clogged drain from her air conditional that sent the temperature in the house way up, flooded a good part of a bedroom and the crawlspace, and she's also had the second fall in two weekends, this time hurting her back.

It is full moon, isn't it? Maybe everyone's fortune will look up this week.

No comments: