Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Poking and prodding into all sorts of places

This afternoon I went to Dwana's reproductive endocrinologist/GYN and had some blood drawn for a hormonal panel, a physical exam, and tomorrow they're going to do a vaginal ultrasound. I know I have polycystic ovarian issues, but I've had some abdominal pain for awhile and given that I blew up like a balloon last month during the time I'd normally ovulate, we wanted to get a better idea of what's going on. I've never had an ultrasound. The lady's like...oh, it's great, you'll get to see your insides. Granted, I'm curious, but I'm also getting an MRI on Monday, and I'm starting to feel like my body's getting examined with X-ray vision. But hopefully it will be all for the best.

In terms of experience, it went well, although the doctor, who's the only one in his practice, was running a little late due to an emergency. No problem. He is the first person who ever immediately knew what my DES exposure means and what tests have to be run as a result. Yay. Oddest thing of the exam was that I didn't put a gown on...they just gave me a paper sheet, and I have to admit, it was a little daunting. But the sheet actually covered more than any gown, and with less hassle, so it was okay, just unexpected.

I've had a little more pain since the exam, and therefore slept for awhile, but all in all, it was a good experience.

No comments: