Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 07, 2004

I wanna sing...

listening to: 'String Quartet no. 2' by Alexander Borodin (played by the Lark Quartet)
feeling: Peaceful

On the drive home, I was listening to some classical and vocal music on WEKU, and I realised just how much I miss singing.

I mean, yes, I still sing in the car, or with my Les Mis or Buffy the Vampire CDs, but I really miss the interaction of voices singing together live. There's such a unique dynamic you just can't get as a listener or through a recording.

For awhile, I dropped out of chorus because I just had too much on my plate in terms of my health. Now I'd like to get back but the day they rehearse really isn't good for me anymore; it conflicts with the main recreation I have--the game--and would make for a very long day. But I'm in a much better position to really sing--for one, my asthma is under control, and I didn't even know I had it at the time, I just felt breathy and couldn't seem to get much in terms of volume. Now I can hit everything from my low range on up without too much work.

There are other options, I guess. I'm not into barbershop-style overmuch, so I don't think I'd do well in the Sweet Adelines. One of my professors has long tried to get me to join the Lexington Singers, but they have a fairly demanding schedule that sometimes includes travel, and are just a little too overpowering in terms of number. A co-worker sings in an Renaissance and early music troupe, and I would love to do that style of music, but I don't know if they have spaces open. Still, it's apparently hard to get (and keep) first sopranos, so it might be worth looking into.

No comments: