Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 14, 2004

This is unreal

For a metro area with a quarter million people, Lexington has been pretty lucky. We've averaged about 18 murders a year over the last five. I only know of only three on-duty firefighter deaths in the history of Lexington. That's why this is so shocking: Firefighter Dies, Two Others Injured While Responding To Domestic Violence Call

Lt Brenda Cowan, Lexington's first African-American female firefighter, who was promoted to Lieutenant just last week.

The standoff went on for hours, but the gunman, identified as Patrick Hutchinson, was taken into custody around 10 pm. The woman originally shot in the domestic disturbance--believed to be his wife--was unable to be reached because he had the first responders pinned down and the police worked at talking him down. Parts of Interstate 75 were closed down at times to evacuate the wounded.

I hope no children or other family members were in the house. It sounds like the gunman was delusional. This is just so sad. My prayers are with those who were injured and the family of those killed. I'm glad that it was resolved without further bloodshed.

I suppose we'll know more tomorrow. I first heard about it when a friend came back from getting a haircut but didn't see the news. When I tried to catch up online, I found that most of the local news sources were way behind, with the best online updating by WKYT and the fire department web page.

No comments: