Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 16, 2004

I love learning about other cultures, so

I love reading Salam Pax. I really appreciate learning about a Shia holiday from someone who's a gay, rather secular person raised with both Sunni and Shia traditions. :) Somehow I think some reading it would start getting together stones, but I'm glad to see a different view of Islam; every Muslim person I've ever known has been very moderate, celebrates diversity, has a great sense of humour, and asks great questions. [A former co-worker Mo, from Iran: 'Let me get this straight. Jesus is the son of God. But God is not married to Mary. So how can Jesus be the son of God?'] I think most Americans tend to see a bunch of extremist zealots and forget the vast majority of the rest of Islam that isn't.

Maybe they should read Salam. Then again, I've known quite a few Americans who'd be reaching for stones, too. (Shakes head.)

Plus, I wonder what he thinks about having his very own Wikipedia entry. That's pretty cool.

No comments: