Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 19, 2004

How beautiful...

I somehow miss great movies when they come out in the theatre, and often for years afterward. Tonight I saw What Dreams May Come for the first time. I'd always known it was a modern-day take on the Orpheus myth with beautiful scenery, but that didn't prepare me for breathtaking imagery and a story that had me crying throughout the whole thing. A friend had invited me over for movie night after learning I hadn't seen it and knowing that it was coming on. I brought pizza and soft drinks, and we settled down to a comfortable night of TV viewing and spending time together.

I love this movie. It deals with themes like death and suicide in a sensitive way, but more than anything else it's about true love and facing all fears and barriers in order to save it. What can I say, I'm a truly hopeless romantic. It's the type of love I long for and fear at the same time. I'd like to have the movie on DVD, and see how they did some of the effects. I've always thought Robin Williams had a rare gift for both comedy and drama. Whoever was in charge of the set designs and effects was a genius.

If someone put me on the spot and asked me to list my five favourite films, I'd say: The Wizard of Oz, To Kill a Mockingbird, Auntie Mame, Pleasantville, and now, What Dreams May Come [please don't make me put them in order of preference, though, that would be so difficult!]. There are other films that I watch over and over for fun, some I find disturbing, some innovative or inspiring. But those five touch something much deeper and really reflect what I value most in life. Oddly enough, at least four of the five are based on books yet happen to be excellent adaptations that stand on their own. Several are also visual masterpieces, using the medium of film to its best effect. But most importantly, they're all about living life fully, never taking what you have for granted, and fighting injustice. It's how I try to live my life. Maybe I don't always succeed, but I'm on a path that's a lot closer than I was years ago.

No comments: