Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 23, 2004

But first...

According to The Cheeky Squirrel Network: Squirrel Name Generator, my squirrel name is: Dances with Chipmunks. Yeah, you never know what to expect from the squirrelly Welsh. ;) (Says a girl with more than a decade's worth of experience with the Welsh sense of humour.)

Ironically, I started this blog...and took the name Rabid Librarian...after being bitten by a squirrel that I'd tried to save. It had been hit by a car, and in a moment straight out of Disney I reached out to help it get all the way into the tree and safe, thereby jostling it, and was soundly bitten. I have little feeling in my right index finger as a result of that bite, and it's a little piece of reality I keep with me at all times. Life is not like Disney movies.

Sadly, the squirrel died. After I'd gone and stopped the bleeding and started back out for the urgent treatment centre, I found it lying on the ground. It had used its last strength to bite me. How horrid, to be in pain and to have a giant numbskull manhandle you in your last moments of consciousness! Since it was dead, I put it in a box and took it with me because I had some vague idea that they would have to test for rabies.

It was actually rather laughable. I go in and they stick my finger in hydrogen peroxide for 20 minutes, and then fuss because they can't figure out what they can use on me since I'm latex allergic. I finally suggested gauze and paper tape, like when I give blood. Nice to know I can give the medical folks directions.

Actually, I found that rabies in squirrels is actually rather rare, and in most cases you won't be given the shots at all. Not a good thing to tell someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Since I did have the squirrel, however, the Nice Man from the Health Department did offer to come get the squirrel and have it tested, and it eventually came back negative. Thankfully.

Since it was about this time that I was starting counselling and trying to deal with some major depression/anxiety issues, I became the Rabid Librarian. See? :)

I rather like 'Dances With Chipmunks'. For a good while I rather twitched when I saw a squirrel, but the chipmunks have never bothered me. I'm finally to the point where I can enjoy squirrel company. I suppose I can't really help it...my dad had a pet squirrel named 'Herman' who used to ride about on his shoulders in college; it made it into the paper.

But there's still that little bit of numbness to keep me from (hopefully) being stupid enough to touch a wild wounded animal for awhile.

No comments: