Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 29, 2004

I'm having 'net withdrawal

It looks like I'm going to have to format my hard drive and re-install the OS to get my computer up and running. It lost the hal.dll file and it went downhill from there; nor does restoring it to the last configuration work. Apparently several files and clusters have become corrupted. I'm wondering if I finally got a computer virus--my anti-virus software was actually the first thing I lost. It'll probably take a couple of days for me to find my various bits of software and get everything back on and running. Fortunately, I have most of my actual documents backed up on CD.

Until then, no playing on the computer, which frankly is my main pastime. No blogging whenever I think about something. No going on the Internet when want to look something up, at least from home. No working at home. No job hunting from home. No news whenever I want. :( I didn't realise quite how much of my life was spent sitting at the thing. Fortunately, I've had other concerns anyway.

The good news is that I have paid my rent; I won't be evicted. My mom is the most wonderful mom in the world, and she came through. She wasn't happy, obviously, but she came through. Someday I will make it up to her.

I also have all the 'public' areas of my apartment ready for company--having your mom come up gives you that extra incentive; I suspect my mom does mad cleaning if her mom comes over...we're just programmed, I guess. Years ago, when I got married, I spent the night before my wedding day making everything spotless for my in-laws' visit rather than sleeping. The funny thing is that whenever I'm a guest at someone else's place, I could care less how spotless everything is; I'm there to visit the person. I wonder if other people feel the same way. Anyway, I tackled everything except the bedroom and study which are next on the list. The bedroom is mainly a matter of dusting and vacuuming and cleaning out the closet. The study, however, is the main trouble, because it has way too many books for shelves and a lot of laundry piled up. It's really more of a junk room at this point than a study, but I'm going to have to beat it into submission if I want easy access to my books. That, however, is last on the list. :)

It is a little bit of irony that I was cleaning to get things ready so I could work on Dwana's computer and have people over for dinner and playing games, etc., and the computer crashed. Ah, my life.

For now, though, I'm just enjoying the peace of an uncluttered living room and getting ready to do my laundry so that I can have clothes for work. I can actually sit and read and listen to peaceful music and let the sunlight wash over me. I can take a relaxing bath. I have counter space to cook. Life is good. And, it's in the 60s and sunny, so I've been opening the windows and the cats and Cerys have just loved basking, or in Spock's case, chasing the reflections of the mirrored glass decorations on my patio.

But today I get to play the game and visit with friends, and that's nice, too.

No comments: