Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 11, 2013

While I was dressing this morning

I was trying to decide on my outfit for the day (quickly, as I'd overslept). I was down to two, either purple or black. Suddenly I had a very strong feeling that one of the people I knew at my workplace who has been very ill had died over the weekend, and just in case I put on the black, but added a butterfly necklace that is very colourful because I thought she would have liked that. I didn't know her well, but she was very easy to talk to, a nurse and educator who had a very positive outlook on life. When I went in to work this morning, I found that she had, indeed, died Sunday morning. I'm glad that her pain is over, and I will say she did things very well--after she was given a grim prognosis she went to the beach and had one last trip with the family, and she managed to make people who were special in her life at ease with her passing. They're not so much having a funeral, but rather a celebration of her life. I was as impressed with her approach to death as I was with her personality, and I can only hope to face it as well. So even though I didn't know her well, she touched my life, and I am glad to have known her a little, and wish that I had gotten to know her better.

No comments: