Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tired, but it was a really fun day

We've had downtime for awhile in the Call of Cthulhu game, so it's nice to have an adventure to run through. This one is set in Rome during the time of Claudius. I'm playing a character I haven't been playing lately, so that's nice. She tends to be one of my meekest, so I'm trying to be a little more vivacious and decisive. It was a little better than usual. I like the adventure, although there seems to be a problem with the book in terms of handouts, etc. (It's The Cthulhu Invictus Companion.) I don't know if anyone else has had issues, but apparently there was a group of letters that were important clues that were missing in our copy, or at least the game master couldn't find them, and there wasn't much of a description of the information contained in them. They also refer to them as numbered handouts, but say in the text that they shouldn't be given in any particular order, which is a bit odd. All in all it was surprising, as this is by Chaosium and they are normally okay in that area.

I started my day lending my laptop to a friend so she could type up a paper for school, as the library was closed today for Easter and she wouldn't have had time to do so before class (she's in an accelerated nursing programme, and it's a crazy schedule). Then I went over for the game and did the normal prep work along with A, who helped. Then I went and got snacks and gas (I was really running on fumes). I got back and we watched some clips from the musicals Addams Family and Wicked, and then Brenda arrived and we started the game. We finished up about 9:45, I hung around just a bit, and I got home about 10:30. While I was getting things together my chain around my neck broke; I'll have to have Brenda look at it next week, as the links are tiny and she has the tools with her to fix them during most games, as she makes headdresses and necklaces for ball-jointed dolls as a way to keep her hands busy as we play.

Tomorrow and Tuesday I'm off, and the weather forecast has improved somewhat. Now they're saying 49 degrees and mixed sunshine and clouds for Monday, 48 with plenty of sunshine on my birthday, Tuesday--which is much better than the 35 and snow they were forecasting earlier. Tomorrow Brandon, the kids, and I are going to have lunch at O'Charley's to celebrate our birthdays--his was today. I need to pick up a package from Amazon being shipped to my work address, which includes the complete run of 'Waiting for God'. YKWIA and I have been enjoying them, but Netflix only has the fourth and fifth season, not the earlier ones, so I ordered the set. After that I'm going to take a friend to an appointment. Tuesday there may be another appointment, but we may also go see The Host, which looks pretty interesting. We'll see.

I enjoyed the return of 'Doctor Who' last night; the episode's premiss was very interesting, and paralleled something that could happen in our game. Afterwards a new show came one, 'Orphan Black', which I found pretty intriguing. After I got home last night I blogged a bit, and then I went to bed by 11, got up at 3:30 to work on the notes, finished by 5:30, and then went back to bed till nearly 8. So although I did actually get sleep last night, it was a bit fragmented, and it was my fault for shopping Saturday morning instead of doing the notes, or even better, doing the notes earlier in the week. It just never seems to work out well, and Friday nights I'm usually pretty wiped from the workweek. I'm going to try to get a jump on next week's notes, though, as there's a lot of investigation, and that takes longer to transcribe than action. There was a good bit of that, too, though, so maybe they'll balance out.

Anyway, the upshot of that is I'm tired and I'm going to head on to bed. Hope you had a good weekend. I can't believe it's almost April already. It seems like just yesterday I was bored at home waiting for my ankle to heal, or just going back to work. Wow. Take care, and I'll try to do a little more blogging than normal since I'll be off from work. Good night.

No comments: