Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 11, 2013

I am having some trouble with the time change

It doesn't help that it's been raining heavily nearly all day today. Yesterday I ran late to my friends' house for the game preparations. Today I managed to get to work on time but didn't get up till 7:50 (I have to be there at 8:30).

Almost immediately, Monday happened. The copier ran out of toner five minutes after I put my stuff down, but before I'd grabbed anything from the cafeteria or put my stuff away. I went to put some toner in, and it turns out someone had done so in the past, and instead of leaving me a note or putting the empty bottle on my desk, he or she put the empty bottle back where it the supplies are kept so it looked like a full bottle was still there. I check the supplies about twice a week to make sure there's enough, and as soon as I put the last toner in, I order another couple. But unfortunately, there was no toner, but rather an empty bottle masquerading as toner. So I put a sign on the copier, sent out an e-mail, and ordered toner, which will take 3-5 business days to get here. Did I mention that it was the day the board met, when there are all these directors giving reports? Fortunately, most people seemed to have done their copying and printing on Friday. As it is, the machine will scan to PDF but not produce any pages from the document server, printer, or copier. :(

But I wasn't irritated too long; I was able to get breakfast even though technically they normally take things off the heat table by the time I got there. Then there was the fact that I'd brought an orchid and a sun star plant (Ornithogalum dubium, a plant from South Africa that is very showy and orange--I've included a picture to the left.) to work to cheer things up, potted up my big African violet, used the old pot to hold a baby plant that had grown from a broken leaf and gave it to one of my co-workers, and put another couple of leaves into a tiny pot of soil to root. So I kept calm and carried on, and breathed and looked at pretty flowers. :) Life got better.

I got my work done, came home, and now I'm contemplating a short nap (maybe a half-hour or 45 minutes; anything else and I tend to go into a deeper sleep and not wake up till morning. :) Then I have a few things to do around the house. I'll try to write later.

No comments: