Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Today I:

  • Started working on a project involving selecting and rating various resources.
  • Started working up a list of books to buy for the library come April 1st, when our vendor runs a special in which the discount is significantly higher than normal.
  • Caught up on my data entry.
  • Looked up some good books on reference. I mainly deal with medical issues, especially pediatric orthopaedics, so my general reference is a bit rusty, as my classes were in 1992-93, before the Web really got going to today's standards in terms of resources. So I'd like a refresher. I'm considering getting one from Amazon. Another, which is fairly expensive, can be checked out from the University of Kentucky's Education Library.
  • Discovered that my phone, which of course signs into my account through Google, is ever so helpful as to tell me how many minutes it will take to any place I search for on the web, even if I'm searching at home or work. In this case, it was the Education Library. But it's also told me how long it would take to get to various doctors' offices that I call because part of my non-librarian duties is to get referrals from primary care physicians when required.
  • Talked to my mother, checked on everyone, and caught up with what's going on with them.
  • Went over to my friends' house. Had wonderful Chinese food. Jin Jin may be as good or even better than one I've loved for years, Great Wall. I had kung pao tofu. Yummy.
  • Did some grocery shopping at both Good Foods Co-op and Kroger. [Good Foods had both celeriac and vegetable bouillon cubes (well, more like rectangular solids), both of which have been hard to find at Kroger of late.]
  • Watched an episode of 'Waiting for God'. It was great. I do like the show immensely. Tom and Diana are wonderful characters.
  • Came on home about 11 pm, and I should probably go to bed soon. Last night I was up till 1 am on the Internet ordering some gifts for a friend for no particular special occasion.
So it's been a full day. I decided not to take tomorrow off after all, but I think I may take Friday off instead; the weather's supposed to be better and it'll make for a three-day weekend. There were a few advantages to doing a midweek break, but I still think Friday will be better overall. And barring any emergencies, I should have the day to myself.

Okay, on that note, I think I'll go on to sleep. I'm already in bed, typing on the laptop. :) So I'll put it away and hopefully wake up a little earlier than I did this morning (it was about 7:45, and while I made it to work on time, I wasn't sure that was going to be the case). Tomorrow I must remember to pick a book on hold up from the public library called Doktor Glass. Good night.

No comments: