Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 11, 2013

Today was all about visiting health care professionals

My appointment with my surgeon regarding the ankle fracture went well and was straightforward. He was very pleased with my progress and will see me in six weeks. He suggested I continue gait training at physical therapy until I find it is no longer helpful, but he thought that my walking was remarkably good considering. The flexibility of the foot and ankle is pretty good as well.

It was at the regular doctor's I hit a snag. The appointment lasted about four hours. He was running terribly behind. If I'd realised that it would be that bad, I would have taken the day off. As it was, I worked very little of the day. I'm going to try to go in early tomorrow morning to make up some of the time.

Physical therapy, which was scheduled after regular work time, went really well, but I am very sore, especially in my knees and quad muscles. I worked on a reclining step machine, with a squishy round thing that I did lunges on, step work, rolling a balance ball towards me with the backs of my feet (that was really hard, given the shape of the muscles), and bridges of the back.

Once home, I talked with Brandon awhile on the phone and then fell asleep with my feet and knees elevated. I woke up a short while ago and did my monthly libation to Hekate, rekindling my worship after several months of not being able to perform the the ritual. (I waited until true dark of the moon to coincide with my menses).

While waiting at the doctors' offices I made an appointment to get the car checked/get an oil change on Saturday morning, giving them plenty of time should they need to put on new tyres or brake pads. I suspect that will be the case. I skidded in the rain a couple of times today, and the brakes are making a high-pitched brake pad sort of squeal. I don't want to wait on this. I also made an appointment for next Saturday with the optometrist and an appointment for Tuesday for a diabetes check. I tend to have a rash of doctor's appointments in the early part of the year when my flexible spending account is flush again.

There was a little grumbling in the halls this morning about the higher taxes in our paycheques today. Mine was about $25 less than usual, despite adjusting the flexible spending account down $100 this year because of the new cap to contributions, so it was a little more than that in terms of increased taxes. That amounts to $750 annually. I can deal with that, but it amounts to a month's rent, plus electric and car insurance for a month, so it is significant. I was more concerned with my personal time off. The company that does our Family Medical Leave Act leave and short-term disability is still processing my last extension request and so I was paid out of PTO instead of my extended illness bank. Once that goes through, I'll get my PTO back, but as a result I have about five days' worth of PTO instead of 12 right now. Granted, we're finished with holidays for awhile (our next official one isn't until Memorial Day), but my doctor's appointments come out of my PTO too, and I need to keep at least three days in the bank because if I get sick, it comes out of that first before drawing on the EIB.

Okay, if I'm going to go in early, I need to go back to bed. Hopefully the Tylenol is kicking in, because otherwise the soreness is going to keep me awake. Hope you're having a good week. I'm glad tomorrow is Friday, and it's jeans day at work. Yay! [I didn't have any clean jeans on my first Friday back. I only have one pair now that's clean. My other main pair of jeans was cut off of me when I was hit by the car. :(]

No comments: