Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Today I had a scary moment

I was at a McDonald's drive-through which had two lanes. One had two cars, one had one, and then the latter drove off, so I went to back up so I could get into that lane. I looked behind me before putting the car in reverse, and there was nothing, so I started backing up. Then I saw about an inch of head peeking up behind me in the window and stopped immediately. A girl who looked to be four or so had run behind the car, followed by her parents, who did not call her back, hold her hand, or otherwise seem to notice that I could easily have run over their daughter. They had a three-year-old boy by the hand. Thank the Gods I saw her in time. I consider myself a fairly safe driver but if she'd been a bit shorter, or if she were in the spot where my third brake light comes up in the window, I would have hit her. What struck me, too, was just how oblivious these people were. Maybe cars should have those alarms for backing up that trucks do, the type people outside can hear.

It's been a busy couple of days. Yesterday I went and hunted down a box springs. My mom gave me a new mattress a few years ago, but my box springs is almost thirty years old, with wires poking out. I scratched myself the other day on one. And I have a bedding set that comes with a dust ruffle but can't use it without it being torn by the wires. So I went to Sears and ordered a Serta box springs to go with my mattress, which is the same brand. It should be delivered sometime Thursday. I also got a pair of pillows and a comfy blanket that matches the light purple bedding exactly. I couldn't remember if the set had Euro shams as well, so I didn't get the pillows for that type (they're big and square), but it does, so I'll probably go back and get a couple of those. But I now have enough pillows for the shams and regular pillow cases.

I watched a movie with YKWIA last night that was pretty good. It was the remake of Total Recall with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, and Jessica Biel. The only thing was it used the concept of a gravity train while seeming to ignore the solid inner core of the Earth. as well as the pressures and temperature extremes that they should have been going through. Even if you take into account people climbing up the outside of a moving, giant vehicle that has passed the core, such as in the mantle, the temps are huge and they should have just died, unless their technology could really create a stable and habitable tunnel. It really bothered both of us. But it was so much better than the original Arnold Schwarzenegger film. Kate Beckinsale especially did a great job of playing a focused, relentless person.

Because of the movie, and because I've been so busy lately, I wound up putting off doing the notes till early this morning, but had to finish them, as today was the game. We played late (I got home a little after 11 pm) and it went well, but things were going to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly for awhile. One of my characters has been blinded, two are taking care of twelve children, whereas Brenda had to stop one character from killing another of her characters using a third character. :)

I should probably go on sleep. I'm pretty tired. Hope you had a good weekend and have a great week ahead.

No comments: