Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

I had physical therapy today

and that went really well. The therapist doesn't think it will take as many visits as usual for this sort of injury because I'm already walking in my shoe and the cane's really just for balance and I've even dispensed with that in the house and library. (I have a one-room library.) :) That's good, as it's $40 each time I go, and I don't want to use all my flexible spending money early in the year. He mainly is going to work on flexibility of the foot and ankle and strengthening the muscles in my leg, hip, and back that got used to not working as well. But I can already tell a difference in those from last week. When I walked around the hospital last week my back hurt really badly, but this week I have to walk pretty far for that to happen. So I am healing. At his suggestion I got some oil that has Vitamin E in it and will use that on the scar and manipulate it to maintain flexibility. He also said to ice it when I come in from work if needed to keep the swelling down but try to stay in the shoe for now rather than using the boot, unless I have a really bad day of it. I'm supposed to go twice a week for now.

My mom came up with the title of the car this afternoon and I got some decent car insurance, following some advice from someone who deals with insurance all the time. I'll go transfer the title first thing tomorrow. Then the plan is to see about getting it inspected this weekend for a safety check and get new windshield wiper blades. I won't be surprised if I need new tyres; they're original to the car. Also, the brakes are squeaking a bit when applied and I'm not sure if that's an early sign of wear or normal. So I want to find out. I also need to get it washed and vacuumed out. I may do that tomorrow. Also this weekend I'd like to get my eyes checked so I can get contacts again. I've been wearing my glasses throughout my recovery but I really prefer contacts.

I gave a friend a ride from work through some back roads between Nicholasville Road and Tates Creek and took him by Kroger for a bus pass, then got home a little after 6. I put my foot up and listened to some music for awhile, then fell asleep. I woke up at 10:30 and realised that I needed to go by Rite Aid for some things, including wine for my monthly libation, which I am finally able to resume. (Liquor Barn had already closed at 10 pm.) I may wait until tomorrow night, however, as the house needs some sprucing up. I need to do dishes and take out the trash and recyclables. I'll try to do that tomorrow evening.

No comments: