Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, October 01, 2012

Saturday and Sunday were crazy busy

so I didn't blog, didn't watch 'Doctor Who' (even though it was the mid-season 'finale'), and didn't get much on my agenda done. I did spend some time with friends and did laundry on Saturday, so that got done, although I schlepped it across town and back (thank goodness for my little utility cart). Sunday was the cleaning, the Kroger run, and the game, which features an extremely difficult opponent and ended with Brenda and I begging to stop so we could regroup and think up something to deal with it, as we were becoming frustrated with our lack of progress, and several characters were incapacitated or near death. Afterwards the game master and I had a very good yet painful discussion on how I might be able to increase my effectiveness (my character was in charge), not only in the game, but in real life, by tackling a particular fault I have.

Last night I was awoken about 2 am by a dog barking furiously, something that in the eight years I've been here just doesn't happen. There's not much noise in my complex, there's a firewall between my bedroom and the next apartment, and I actually ventured outside to see if there was a dog in distress, it was just so unusual, and it sounded just like a friend's dog (for non-'animal people', each dog has a 'voice' of their own). I'm sure it was just a neighbour's dog. But it was a little difficult to get back to sleep.

Despite getting to bed at a reasonable hour, I'm having some difficulty with just how dark it is when I wake up, particularly on a day such as today, which was a soggy, rainy mess. I was not a zombie today. I went in and got a lot accomplished, including the book review I needed to get in.

Thankfully I was able to get a ride home, and I opened the windows and then promptly took a nap. (Not a sleep, but a reasonable nap. I find that if I lie down right after getting home, while the afternoon is not too late, I am much more likely to wake up and be productive later, rather than the scenario where I do things, play on the computer, and then peter out by 8:30 or 9 pm.) Now I have to get some things done around the house and if I have time, I'll watch the first of two 'Doctor Who' episodes I need to catch up with.

By the way, I meant to write the other day that as I stood at the bus stop Thursday, I was accompanied by a pretty orange butterfly who spent the entire 20-25 minutes in one place, fanning its wings (I think it was drying off; we'd had some rain.) I love butterflies (Eilir actually means butterfly), and it was nice to see one up close for such a protracted time. That is one nice thing about being a paedestrian rather than a driver; you get to see the details along the road.

No comments: