Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I think

I just ate the biggest apple in the history of the fruit. It was a Honeycrisp and took 15-20 minutes to devour, even though I was eating it enthusiastically. I think my appetite is coming back. I ate two tuna sandwiches as well. I'm craving fish (that's twice I've had it today), probably as some part of the healing process.

I was reading in the bedroom, basking in new-found light, when my mom called to check on me and I got to speak with my grandmother for a bit, as well. Then I texted with Brandon for awhile and realised I was hungry, so I came out here and fixed everything. I may be slow and have to employ nylon bags to carry things, but I get the job done. Tomorrow I'm going to try to tackle the dishes.

I hate that I really haven't had anything of real import to write about lately. The news is mostly about the hurricane (and my thoughts are with those affected), but I'm not directly experiencing that (thank goodness). The second biggest news story is Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, and the potential of new Star Wars movies coming out. In fact, that was trending on Twitter earlier, as opposed to the hurricane. For YKWIA's sake, I won't post about the discovery of nine new species of tree-dwelling tarantulas.

There was this, which I think is kind of a sad commentary of the times:

Beaverton teacher named Oregon School Librarian of the Year but is no longer a librarian
The Beaverton School Board recognized Jenny Takeda Monday night for being named Oregon School Librarian of the Year.

But Takeda, who was the district librarian overseeing the circulation program for all 51 schools, is no longer a librarian in the district. She's a substitute teacher.

Takeda learned in late August that she had been named the top librarian, but it came a week after the district transferred her to teach third grade as part of its layoff/transfer process because of budget cuts.

No comments: