Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I just had a wonderful breakfast

courtesy of Wanda, who brought me some things yesterday. It was a banana; a spinach salad with feta, walnuts, cranberries, and dressing; some orange Jell-O, and a diet Pepsi. Okay, maybe that's not everyone's idea of breakfast, but it's the largest meal I've had in days, bigger than last night's dinner of black bean veggie patty and lentil soup. My appetite is slowly coming back. I lost three pounds last week (and frankly, I can afford to lose some more).

It's sunny outside and sixty degrees, even though it's not even 10 am. I think this is our last hurrah before autumn really kicks in. I haven't been out since Friday, so I'm not sure just how nice it is. Unfortunately I don't have the leverage to open the windows. It would be nice. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer, and I do have to go out then, so at least it won't be raining and cold or anything.

I am determined not to let my lavender plant die, even though every couple of days it needs water. I'm keeping some water nearby so I can just tip some in. It really needs to be in a better pot, but that will have to wait. There are several plants that need to be culled; I'm afraid they've become infested with those little white fuzzy mealy bugs and there's no saving them. I can't put the lavender in with the pepper and rosemary for more efficient care (the others don't need to be watered as often), because it's been exposed, even though I can't see any on them. I remember my mom railing against those stupid bugs when I was a kid, and her sometimes fruitless efforts to save plants with them (especially jade plants, which seem particularly susceptible; that's what mine came in on).

Today I'm going to try to actually read and watch some TV. I have something set up in the living room where I can sit comfortably. The light is much better in the living room; there's more natural light and two floor lamps. In the bedroom I have trouble sitting up straight at my headboard (I need one of those study pillows, sometimes called 'husband' pillows, the ones with the arms on either side), but even then there's one bulb in an overhead light. I'm hoping that one holds out; otherwise someone is going to have to climb up on my bed to change a light bulb, and it sure isn't going to be me. :)

The last couple of days I've spoken to my aunts on the phone for quite some time. One lives in Georgia. She's my mother's sister, and the family constantly call me 'Sharon' accidentally because we're very much alike (especially in terms of talking) :). We both work in libraries; she works in a public library there in a rural area of south Georgia. The other one is my mom's brother's wife, also named Sharon (although being in the South, we have Sharon Sue and Sharon Ann to differentiate) and they live in San Antonio. We don't get to see or talk with each other much, so it was very nice to get to chat with them for awhile.

I'm having a little trouble remembering what day it is, and the date especially, and would be totally lost without appointments to go to. It's like I'm home for one long Saturday that never seems to end. I have a friend who is not grounded in time at all; seasons, day and night, that sort of thing he can do, but dates and days he's always mixing up. I'm beginning to see how easy that can happen. I'm trying to stay on top of the date, at least, because I have some library books due tomorrow and Thursday, unless I can get them rechecked. I haven't tried yet.

They're doing some sort of work at my apartment complex in a few of the other buildings, putting in some sort of pipe in front of them. This little loader of some sort keeps going back and forth between there, past my window, and to a giant pile o' dirt that is over by one of the Dumpsters. Last night they were still working after dark. It was a little odd.

I realise my posts have been a little, well, ho-hum. That's how things are around here lately. I'll try to get into the swing of things again and start posting about the news. To be honest, I haven't seen much. Something major could have happened and I'd have no clue. I think I've checked the news online maybe three times since I've been home, as opposed to my normal three times or so a day. I didn't watch the debate last night. So, I'm a little out of the loop. Of course, I already had my mind up in terms of candidate, and I'm hoping I get my absentee ballot today so I can send it back as quickly as possible.

Okay, I think I'm going to go answer the call of nature (never put that off when you're on low mobility) and then ensconce myself in the living room to get a little more serious stuff done before trying to actually do something to keep from being bored other than playing Jewels Legend (I'm up to level 31 or 32 now. There's over 200 levels per 'world', with two 'worlds'.) :)

No comments: