Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 03, 2012

The application saga

I bought an application for Android through Amazon called Relax Melodies Premium, by Ipnos Software. I had tried the free version first and realy liked it. But when I opened the premium version on my tablet, it only had 36 sounds on it, much less than the 80-some-odd advertised.

Not to be deterred, I contacted Ipnos Software, and the tech support folks were really helpful. Turns out there was an update that fixed the problem that some devices were having, but it wasn't up on Amazon yet, so one of them sent me a link to the update that I could download and install from. I did so, and had instant success.

Then I noticed there were updates from Amazon. I thought oh, they updated their software there, so I went ahead and downloaded all the various application downloads listed. The Relax Melodies Premium is one of those that will totally uninstall before installing. So I hit yes, and then went into the application, and things were right back to how it used to be. Apparently since the versions didn't match, Amazon assumed there was an update needed. Argh!

So I uninstalled that and went to that link from before, but they had removed the file (which makes sense, as some people might just publicise it, as it was just something at Dropbox). Then I remembered that since I had actually downloaded the file, it should still be in downloads. I found it with my tablet's file manager, clicked on it, and yay, it re-installed without a problem and it's back to the way it should be. I'll just ignore any update requests until I'm sure it's a higher version.

Speaking of the tablet, I was thinking about a project I really need to work on that involves some word processing at another person's house. I had considered getting a laptop, but that seemed a bit excessive, as my desktop does well, my apartment is small so it's not like I have to have access in every room, and the tablet could theoretically do it--it's just the swiping of a virtual keyboard that is an issue. So, I looked around and all the keyboards I could find that connected to tablets with cables wouldn't work. But there are also Bluetooth keyboards. By reading reviews I found out that one I was considering wouldn't work because the Bluetooth version is higher than my tablet's. But I found one that should, and contacted the company, which said that as long as my Android version is high enough, all should do well. So I ordered it from Amazon and it should be here in a few days. Office Depot had it for about $60. Amazon had it for $35 and has an excellent return policy should it not work, and I checked and the seller who sells through Amazon and is fulfilling the order has the same policy regarding electronics. So, wish me luck. $35 is a tenth of what I would pay for a basic laptop, so I'm hoping it will connect and work well. We'll see.

Some days I really do feel like a tech geek. :)

No comments: