Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Got good news from the doctor today

The super-duper lab test that they did in January and July was the main topic of our conversation, as it showed a much lower risk of my dying from a heart attack or stroke, all the various iterations of cholesterol are wonderful, my renal function is great, my A1c dropped quite a bit, etc., etc. The only things that were still in the red (the results are nicely colour-coded) were some values indicating I don't exercise enough, or at least would go down if I did, and of course the diabetes-related scores are not yet in the normal range. He adjusted my insulin a bit and we're going to meet again for a diabetes check in three months and get that test series done again in January. But overall it was a great appointment, and I was at work by 11 am, so it took slightly over an hour total.

So, what's next? Well, exercise for one. I think it's time to pull out the exercise bike. I'm getting plenty of protein in my diet but should try to cut out some of the fat, keep it about 20% daily. And of course, I should take my meds exactly as I should, so no forgetting my nightly or morning shot of the long-acting insulin, for example. I'm beginning to feel like I can actually get some control over this disease. Wish me luck!

No comments: