Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 08, 2011

I had the wrong disk today to do some tech work

and wound up taking 8 buses back and forth over the course of the day, meaning several hours of bus riding, waiting at bus stops, and walking to them. One nearly broke me--a man who (and I have it on good authority that this is he usual schtick) harangued a young man who did Christian rap, telling him he was going to teach him a lesson and preaching at the top of his lungs, and quite arrogantly believing he had The Truth directly from God, when the young man had a better idea of how to live a life based on Christ's teachings than that over-inflated buffoon who was attempting to impart his 'wisdom', got so onto my nerves that as the bus came to a stop and they were still at it (his wife was in this supportive role), that I finally shouted, 'Oh for God's sake, shut up!', and left the bus. I should say that it takes a lot to make me do anything assertive, but I feel really strongly about being subjected to religious bullying, and yet at the same time, it irritated me that even though the guy could quote chapter and verse (why do so many people believe that makes them knowledgeable?), he had no real understanding of the history and meaning of the scripture. I've probably studied more religious topics than he has.

Then they got on the next bus with me, and my heart sank, for I had a headache from all his shouting, but they were very, very quiet. Thank goodness. If I'd known the Orphic hymn to Hekate by heart I would have recited it. What would he do with an actual pagan, rather than brow-beating the flock of fellow believers? I may just put that on my phone for future reference. I don't normally encourage belligerent people or bother the hornet's nest, but really, some people need to be taken down a notch or two. I know someone who encountered this same man and did that more eloquently than I could ever have, but it inspired me to act, and I'm glad I did.

Oh, but I'm glad to be home now. I could barely see (my contacts were bothering me) or walk straight on the way from the bus stop. I wouldn't have been surprised to be questioned about public intoxication, even though I was sober. I came in, made a quick phone call to announce my safe arrival, made some steel-cut oatmeal, and now I'm headed to bed. Tomorrow is game day and it starts very early. Good night.

No comments: