Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 28, 2011

Did you know that hydrogen can build up in hot water systems?

Which makes perfect sense if you think about it--I just never really have. I have a friend who has never had an electronic dishwasher anywhere he has ever lived, and he has had one recently put in. As with most gizmos, he's spent a day or two of staring at it before tackling the manual. According to his manual, hydrogen can build up in the system if it is unused for about two weeks. If it has been unused, they recommend running the taps for a few minutes. Not only is this a fascinating bit of trivia which will no doubt become indelible in my memory (for useless facts seem to be the only things that stick there), it's good for me to know because frankly, I don't use my taps much, and I don't produce very many dishes quickly enough to run the machine regularly.

Anyway, I was a bit amused, although it does sound like it could, in rare circumstances, be dangerous. And he did finally put a load in and turned it on. I'm interested to see how it goes, and I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself this weekend, as prior to it, I was one of two main dishwashers there. :)

No comments: