Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I understand the need for public safety

but I am incredibly saddened by the deaths of so many rare and exotic animals in Zanesville, Ohio. I do not believe that this man should have had access to these animals in the first place, and should not have been allowed to keep them. I hope that Ohio joins most other states in regulating this, and I suspect my own state of Kentucky needs to as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with Delcianna Winders, Director of Captive Animal Law Enforcement at PETA, who told HuffPost:

This is a tragic example of how things can go very wrong when people are allowed to keep exotic animals. Animals always pay the price and [this situation] is a perfect example of this.

Zanesville, Ohio Town Copes With Dozens Of Exotic Animals Set Loose, Killed

I am particular saddened by one photo of dead tigers, lions, and other creatures, which is on the following web page:

Ohio sheriff: Only one monkey remains missing

And then there is this video:


I hate it when animals suffer because of human actions. There is some hope, though. Six animals were saved--a young grizzly bear, three leopards, and two monkeys.

Six exotic animals saved from carnage settling in at Ohio zoo

A special web page has been set up by the Columbus Zoo for contributions to defray the cost of keeping the animals.

No comments: