Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 28, 2011

So yesterday I got my itinerary

for the Chicago trip. I fly out mid-morning on a non-stop flight from Blue Grass Airport to O'Hare. That's a relief, since without a car making the trip from Cincinnati or Louisville would have been more complicated. I fly back the next evening, with the same seat # on both trips. The only difference is about 20 minutes for some reason on the way there. I'm flying United Express.

As such, it became a little more real and I was freaking a bit last night when I talked to a friend and then another texted me (the latter has never really seen me freak quite like that, I think). I'm over my little anxiety thing for now (I had gotten past the anxiety over flying and had gone forward to freaking over taking a CTA train to my hotel--I've never been on a subway).

Now I'm actually looking forward to doing it. I've talked to a co-worker, who has offered to let me borrow a carry-on bag that is larger than mine, since it's just an overnight trip and I don't want to check anything if possible and incur a fee, plus I'll look silly lugging multiple bags on the subway; you might as well put a neon sign above my head that says out-of-town-sucker (although that's probably going to be there anyway). I absolutely have to take my CPAP with me, and I've checked into the rules for that, and then there's the liquids issue (my insulin pens are fine, as is my makeup, etc. I'll buy some little sample shampoo and bodywash before I go). I've looked up TSA rules for packing, decided on the best shoes to get in and out of at the airport, decided to take my satchel rather than a purse or backpack (I'd overstuff the backpack, and they'd probably consider it a second bag). I've looked into getting to the airport (I can take LexTran's airport bus out there, but it looks like I may have to either take a cab or make arrangements with a friend to get back). I have maps of both airport terminals and have thoroughly explored the Chicago Transit System and hotel websites. And I've looked up to see exactly what can be done in airplane mode on the phone, although just now I was perusing their policies and apparently cell phone operation is prohibited. It didn't mention being able to keep them on in airplane mode to listen to music, etc. I'll check with them when I go to make sure.

After all, knowledge is power, and it might help me fend off any anxiety. There isn't much I can do about one fear, at least between now and then, and that's the fear of them booting me for being fat. I can't afford a second seat. I wouldn't be able to go at all if someone else weren't paying. I know it's probably unreasonable (and at least I won't be flying Southwest, which seems to boot people all the time), but it's there. After all, despite my lapses of body awareness at times, I am aware that I am obese. Maybe not as much as some, but more than many. So there you have it. On the other hand, I'm flying on a Monday and Tuesday, so maybe it won't be a packed plane. We'll see.

Gods, you must think I'm a mess. :)

No comments: