Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 25, 2011

33 hours awake and on my way to bed

It wasn't too bad today. I was somewhat productive. I only made one mistake in the data entry, and I caught it immediately, putting my error rate at 0.06% for the year, which I think is acceptable but I would obviously like to lower. I'm enough of a perfectionist to cringe when I make a mistake, and some can't be undone without getting another person involved, because I can't undo everything I put in. I did leave early and took someone up on a ride because frankly I was fading and wasn't sure I'd do well trying to come home on the bus. So now I'm heading to bed to at least get a few hours' sleep. Game notes will have to wait until tomorrow, I think, along with paying rent (although I'll still be early) and getting game snacks.

I contacted Sanofi-Aventis (the maker of the insulin pens I use) as well as BD, the maker of the pen tips, to see if there is any latex in them. I'm not sure about the pen needles, although I can't imagine there being any in them, but the pens are fine. So that's not what I'm reacting to. The Sanofi-Aventis people were really good about getting back to me, calling me and sending me information, then answering my questions when I called them back on the phone. They also took down my information as a report of an adverse reaction. So now it's a matter of seeing if BD responds and then if there's no latex, ask my doctor about the possibility that I'm allergic to either of those sorts of insulin. It is listed as a potential side effect, and I'm not sure I'd call it severe, just a bit annoying and worrisome. But if it is an allergy, it needs to be watched at the very least, because they can unexpectedly worsen, and we might be able to try another form of insulin. And if he's right and it's a matter of needle length, I need to make sure I've got the right depth so that I get all the insulin I'm supposed to. We'll see.

No comments: