Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm off today and so far I've gotten quite a lot accomplished

I woke up at 8:35 am, which would normally be fine, but I had an appointment at 9, so I rushed through getting ready, checked my blood sugar, ran out of the house with my hair wet (not all that unusual for me), and walked quickly over to St Joseph's Breast Centre for a mammogramme, arriving just 5 minutes late. I was so discombobulated that I couldn't fill out the paperwork correctly. I put my e-mail under my mailing address, my birthdate for today's date, that sort of thing, but I finally got it all corrected and went to have my boobies squished. I forgot that you have to take off any deodorant or powder you have on, or I wouldn't have put any on this morning. But I used the supplied wipes and then they had also helpfully supplied a spray-on one for when you got dressed again. I also forgot the odd angles they put you through, although the only time I was truly uncomfortable was when they were trying to get the lymph nodes of the underarm in addition to the breast tissue. That was at an awkward angle. Anyway, so that's how I started my Valentine's Day.

Then I went back out into the wind (it's nearly 50 degrees but very windy; my hair is comparatively full-looking today as if it were blown dry, which it was, essentiall)y. I went over and read in the bus shelter (I'd just missed a bus) and then took the bus over to Man O'War Place. I deposited a cheque into the bank, took out some quarters for laundry, and then headed over to Subway, because at this point I was very hungry/thirsty.

This was the first time I'd been out to eat since starting my insulin. I thought I might have to go into the bathroom to take my shot, but it was just 10:30 so there were very few people in the store. I went to a table around the corner where I was out of sight of the counter and checked my blood sugar. I'd worn a short-sleeved velvet shirt under my sweater, so I took off the sweater, readied the pen and needle, and gave myself my injection in my upper arm, where I've been doing the Apidra lately anyway. It took just a moment, and I didn't have to worry about showing my belly or grossing out anyone with needles or such.

I had a very satisfying tuna sandwich (I hadn't eaten out since before Christmas), finished my book (more on that later), and then headed over to Kroger's to get some things I needed. I managed to make the bus just in time, although I had to endure a couple of minutes of some kid practicing rap (well, he was either that or talking to voices in his head) in which every other word was the f-word (a perfectly good English word, when used effectively. This was not.) He told the bus driver something strange that I can't really remember about it being a dark day of dominion or some such. In other words, he was in his own little world. The bus driver just nodded, smiled, and said oh, yes. I'm sure they have practice. :)

Now I'm home, and it's just after noon. On the agenda today:

  • Laundry--a must; I have nothing that is really clean.
  • Do dishes, clean counters.
  • Clean out the refrigerator.
  • Take out trash and recyclables.
  • Get caught up on my newsfeeds.
  • Go through some papers to shred, recycle, or keep.
  • Straighten up the living room. [Working on it!]
  • Clean the bathroom.
  • Straighten my dresser in the bedroom; clear the kitchen table of books and other things that need to be put up.
  • Clean out the fish tank and add new water.
  • Work out some financial things in preparation for making a spending plan (aka budget).
  • Read the next book to go back to the library.
  • Get an early start on game notes so I'll be inspired as what to do next time.


I doubt I'll get it all finished, but I'd like to get a good start on them and work on them throughout the week. The laundry has to be done; it's the main reason I took off today. I don't like doing my laundry at night, and I prefer to clean in bright sunlight, so laundry and the front rooms with windows are good afternoon tasks. I think I'll take a little break and then get started.

No comments: