Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 18, 2011

Glad to finally be home

I left work at 5:50. It is now 7:30. I just got home. The bus was running a little behind because there was a trainee driver and all sorts of cars decided to play tag with him, practically, so he was concentrating on getting us places in one piece rather than the time, which I appreciate. But then it took me five lights to cross the street, because every time the light turned green, an emergency vehicle came through the other way through the light. Four of them, total, two fire engines, an ambulance, and a police cruiser. They weren't all going to the same place; it was just one of those things where when they would have had the light there was nothing but normal traffic and when I had the light there would come another siren. Then, after finally getting across that street, I walked across the street where a service road came into the street and nearly got run over by someone turning onto the side street who wasn't paying attention, even though I was in the crosswalk. I am really beginning to hate people in cars. They talk on their cell phones and do all sorts of things other than drive. When I drive I try to look out for pedestrians (even jaywalkers and the like) because I realise I'm driving a potentially deadly weapon. Even a Mini Cooper or other compact car can kill or maim, and people drive giant SUVs like they're bumper cars. I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm ready for some peace and quiet. I'm not sure I'm even up for soft relaxing music. The bus was noisy, and some lady was going on about the evils of pesticides and the predictions of Nostradamus, and some lady screeched to high heaven when she saw someone she knew and like to have jolted me out of my seat. I'm tired of being around people. I've been around people all day. I've been nice. I've been pleasant. I've enjoyed my interactions to a point. But I got to a point where I just felt overwhelmed and wanted nothing better than to come home where the only sound is the aquarium water fall, and even then, I think I'll go into the bedroom where it's even quieter for awhile. Do you ever get that way, when the sheer noise of life around you gets to be too much? This is why I could never live in a city with millions of people. Sorry, I know this was somewhat incoherent and stream of consciousness. That's how I feel right now--full of run on thoughts, anxiety, and a need to ground myself, which I will now proceed to go do.

No comments: