Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 14, 2011

Every Monday Matters #7

Write a Letter to a U.S. Military Hero

I think this is a wonderful idea. Coming from a military family, I know that my father (who sent taped messages back home from Vietnam) seemed so lonely and tired on those recordings. I'm sure the same is true for many soldiers overseas today.

I have a co-worker whose husband has deployed several times and is active in veteran's organisations. I'm sure she could help me find someone to write to. There are also these suggestions from the Every Monday Matters website:

  • Send a free postcard to soldier.
  • Send an email to soldier.
  • Send mail to an anonymous soldier.
  • Donate a book to a soldier.

We have a drop-off point at work that takes up magazines for soldiers. I think it's a programme through the Marines.

Anyway, I'm going to check into seeing what I can do. I have a lot of sympathy for soldiers, even though I'm very anti-war as a general rule, and anti-war in terms of the ones we're in now. But I don't have to bring that up. I can talk about other things, ask questions, and hopefully give them a break from the very difficult situation they're in. And you can, too.

No comments: