Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It was 62 degrees earlier this afternoon

and at one point I went outside and walked around the hospital to get my mail from the back mail room. No mail, which is odd, but it was worth the walk. When I got home I opened the windows and started working on some things. I got all the trash out. The recycling bins outside are full (they'll be emptied tomorrow, so I'll take that out then.) I also started a new file for my flexible spending receipts for 2011 and one for 2010 to gather up all the receipts I have in various places throughout the living room. I straightened up the living room just a bit and went through some papers. I also pared down my newsfeeds and Gmail inbox, both of which had over 1000 items. I moved a clip-on light to my computer desk so I could see the receipts clearly. Then I called the IRS.

So I've accomplished a bit tonight, although I'd hoped it was more. I napped in the comfy chair for just about an hour, too.

I talked to my mother earlier today. My grandmother's going in for surgery on Friday, so I'm keeping her in my thoughts. My mom sounds a bit frazzled, for good reason. My grandmother's been in the hospital for five weeks now, dealing with some complications from diabetes. It's one reason I've been more vigilant about my own health.

I went to the doctor today and he tweaked my insulin (both types) a bit and I'll see him in two months. He really likes the spreadsheet I have that I bring in printouts from. (He thought it was an iPhone app--he just got one and is going crazy with it. He loves gadgets. I remember how excited he was about getting a digital stethoscope.) Anyway, if I continue to do well with the insulin, he's going to try to take me off of Janumet and Actos so I'll have fewer medicines (Right now I have 6 oral meds, including one that I take twice a day, plus shots three times a day.) That'll help, too, when my flexible spending account runs out, because my meds currently are running $310 a month (that's with insurance). That's not including the cost of lancets, test strips, and pen tips. That would take it down by $75, anyway.

Okay, I'm getting a bit sleepy, and it's 11 pm. I think I'll take my insulin and head to bed, or at least read a bit and then turn in. Have a good night.

No comments: