Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, July 04, 2010

When I was in college, my first majors were biology and sociology

because I was interested in building sustainable oecosystems where people could live off the land and sea in ways that would do less damage to the oecology and provide for their continued livelihoods. (I also thought of going into the Peace Corps for those same reasons). After I changed my biology major to history (I burnt out on chemistry and had a professor kill a rat in front of me to dissect, which kind of put me off biology), they came up with a programme called FEAST at my school I otherwise would have gone into (I think it meant 'Food, (o)Ecology, and Society Together').

Well, the Congo could desperately use some graduates of similar programmes.

In Congo forest, bushmeat trade threatens Pygmies: Demand for game meat takes toll on Central African forests
The genteel clan leader does not want to talk about the change sweeping the continent, or the dangers of over-hunting. "The forest will always be there," he says. "For the forest to disappear, for the animals to disappear, the world would have to end first."
Their world may come to an end. They are overhunting the bushmeat, due to a voracious demand from outside their forest homes. With the trade, their society is changing, as well. Their way of life is threatened.

No comments: