Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 01, 2010

I'm practicing

Today is my first full day at the hospital as we go-live into the process for which I'll be doing data entry four hours a day in addition to my part-time library duties.

So, the good news is that I get to go in a half-hour later that I used to. I'm up and dressed and I've already gone through my Google Reader stories. I have to leave about 9:50 to catch the bus in to work, so I have a bit of time.

This is also the first time I've had the multifocal contact lenses in for more than five minutes. Things do seem clearer than with the monovision (and apparently my prescription changed, too, at least from the last pair of glasses to the new ones).

According to my optometrist, multifocal lenses are built around the fact that when you look at different distances, your pupils change size. Thus, when you look far away, your pupil dilates. When you look close up, it contracts. This is why you need good light to read by with them, and sunglasses if you're outside on a bright day, though, because of course light also affects your pupil size.

I find myself blinking a bit more and adjusting my distance a little from the computer screen, but all in all, things seem readable, which is good, as I'll spend four hours or so today putting in numbers and other entries.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'm not used to being at that one place for so long in the day. It's nice not to have to rush over to the store, and of course, I'll get off earlier than when I was working at the gas station during the week.

No comments: