Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 05, 2010

Oh, Gods, I'm tired

Tonight was our truck night at work, and we were down to two people because one of my co-workers is ill. Now, that's not normally a disaster, and we didn't get as many boxes as we could have, but it was both the 5th of the month, so we had a lot of money orders, and one of the first pretty days in a long while, which meant lots and lots and lots of car washes. I managed to get the cigarettes put away and the stuff that needed dates dated. But it was hard to put the latter away because we had a reset in the cooler yesterday and a lot of the old stuff was sitting in crates in the way. Mind you, our back room is little more than the size of a walk-in closet in terms of navigable area, so this was an issue. I managed to get a couple of boxes put away that were on the floor, but most weren't touched. My co-worker could barely get away from the register to make coffee. The nice thing about being busy, of course, is that it went by quickly. But I left late and didn't get home till almost 11 pm. I hurt all over, especially my feet, which have been doing better but climbing the ladder to put up the cigarettes plus standing still bother them, even with the orthotics and new shoes--they're just not as bad.

I really need to work on the game notes, but I'm just not ready to stay up tonight. I'm going to try to get up at 8 am tomorrow. I am doing a load of dishes in the dishwasher right now, and I need to do a load of laundry tomorrow, as I have nothing to wear for the next few days and my uniform really needs washing, too, as I've gotten schmutz on it.

I dropped off my rent tonight (yay, that's months now it's been on time!) but there is very little left in my bank account, just 84 cents plus whatever change I have in my satchel and $2 in quarters for laundry. I'll have money in the account on Tuesday, and I get paid both on Wednesday and Thursday (just bills that week, not rent). That's the closest to zero I've been in several months. Technically I still have $25 more, but I have a cheque out to LibraryThing to pay for a lifetime membership that I sent in early February that hasn't gone through yet. Still, it's just a couple of days of privation. So I'm cooking some macaroni and cheese tonight. I think I have enough to eat until Tuesday. I will have to remember to take the sesame teryaki to work tomorrow, as we do have a microwave and it just takes a couple of teaspoons of water but is otherwise self-contained. I had the kung pao vegetables today for lunch, along with yoghurt and a banana.

Well, that's all for now. I'm eating and will check the news before I go to bed. Good night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sorry that you guys had such a rough night! Believe me, I would have much rather been there than here. :)