Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 27, 2010

I think Lexington is somewhat stunned

West Virginia beats Kentucky to reach Final Four

I don't really follow basketball. But I brought my radio in to work so we could listen to the game (Brandon's a big fan). Even I could tell the Wildcats made a poor showing, and although they were struggling to the end, it was too late.

Usually after a game we have a huge rush as people buy more beer, etc. There was almost a hush as a few stragglers came in, their enthusiasm blunted by the loss. Almost everyone referenced it, and while they were all supportive--after all, UK went to the NIT last year, but made it back into the NCAA and played a great season--you could tell the wind had gone out of their sails. Many Kentuckian take basketball very seriously--it's like it's own religion here. I'm sure A is terribly disappointed.

But there's always next year. Coach Calipari got them off to a great start. Now there's just the wait to see if any of the stars of the programme will stay, or if they will go on to the NBA.

And West Virginia hasn't been in the Final Four since the 1950s, so it's a great opportunity for them. This tournament seems rife with upsets and derailments.

Oh, Gods, I can't believe I'm writing a post on basketball, and actually analysing the play. I'm not sure what's come over me. But maybe next year they'll be playing 'On, on, U of K' all the way to the title.

No comments: