Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, March 28, 2010

This is such a wonderful idea; I'm sorry I missed it this year

but I was at work, where we definitely were lights up. If I'd been at home though, and knew ahead, I would have turned out the lights and enjoyed a little candlelight.

Millions unplug for Earth Hour: Buildings in some 4,000 cities turn off the lights

Last year 88 cities participated; this time it was 4,000. What an amazing thing. It's about climate change, of course, but it also shows us just how polluted are skies have become in terms of light. Some people might have seen the stars for the first time in a great long while. Do you realise that many of today's young people have probably never seen the Milky Way? I remember the clarity of the desert skies when I lived on Edwards Air Force Base when we watched meteor storms. Now I'm lucky if I see three or four, even though I live almost at the edge of town in Lexington--and we've got it better than, say, the Eastern seaboard; we can drive 20 minutes out of town and be in the country.

No comments: