Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 19, 2010

I've been trying to get up since 6 am

with the idea of going into work early and making up some time I've lost, but to no avail. I did get up at 8:30, giving me a chance to drink a couple of cups of coffee and write this, but that's about it. Between doctors' appointments, daylight savings, pills that make me sleepy, and higher blood sugars in the morning, I just haven't done well in getting in all my hours. I'll check to see what the official tally is this morning and see if I can use PTO time for it. I think it's about 2 hours off.

Speaking of doctor's appointments, I didn't write about the results of my nerve conduction/EMG tests. The good news it there is no sign of diabetic neuropathy, which is good, as there isn't a lot to be done about that. It's also not coming from my neck issues. The bad news is, yes, I have carpal tunnel. The left side isn't too bad, and the problems conducting signals probably are a residual from before my surgery. The right, however, is definitely conducting signals abnormally, which isn't surprising since I've been dropping things, feeling numbness, and having pain when I fill out paperwork--I've been through this all before. They don't tend to do surgery a second time (I wondered about that) and instead suggested hand occupational therapy and splinting, although the place that sent me doesn't take my insurance, so today I need to see if there's an alternative, as $100 a visit is really going to eat into my flexible spending account.

I'm a little disappointed that my body is doing this again. I felt so good after the surgery; it was like a miracle to suddenly feel fingers again. But carpal tunnel does recur even after surgery, and although I don't type a huge amount anymore, I do have repetitive motions with my right hand only when I use the cash register--it's a touchscreen, and you hold your hand out in front of your chest. I started at the gas station about a year after my first surgery. I think the surgeon did an excellent job, but the repetitive nature of my job has contributed to another flare up. But even so, this is nothing compared to how severe it was before surgery.

So I'm hopeful that therapy and splinting will help, especially as we're catching it early--I've only had noticeable numbness for a few weeks.

Okay, I've got to get ready for work. Have a good day.

No comments: