Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, November 03, 2008

I would so have thrown this person out of our store, regardless of the consequences

[begin righteous indignation rant]
I was working with putting up cigarettes in the back room when my co-worker waited on an Hispanic man buying beer. He didn't hand her the money but rather put the it down on the counter and told her to get it. She put his change on the counter. He then told her he didn't like touching black people. He left before she could say anything, she was so shocked.

I was angry on her behalf. Nevermind the fact that my co-worker's mom is white, dad is black, with a Puerto Rican grandfather thrown in, too. All people of black African descent are black, even if it's a bit, right? No one had ever told her such a thing before. Also, as one of our other customers put it, even if you thought it, why say such a thing? I think it's wrong either way. What surprised my co-worker the most about it was that the man was Hispanic, another minority, but that didn't surprise me so much. Prejudice isn't something confined to WASPs, that's for sure.

I'd like to see what would have happened if he pulled that on our manager, who is biracial. My co-worker said that one of these days he's going to say something like that to the wrong black person. And whilst I do not condone racial violence, I think every racist deserves their comeuppance. Hmpf.
[end rant]

No comments: