Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Time to sleep

The last couple of nights I've averaged 4-5 hours' sleep. I had about a 45 minute nap this afternoon after work. So even though there are several news stories I'd like to blog about, I'll have to defer to tomorrow.

Tonight is Old Samhain (the Celtic New Year, last harvest, and remembrance for the dead)--oh, and it's pronounced 'Sow (rhymes with 'cow')-un' rather than 'Sam-hane'. Tonight I need to leave an offering to my Patroness. I have a nice ripe pomegranate and some honey.

And it's Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day, too, of course. I am the grand-daughter of three World II veterans (my grandmother was also a veteran, a nurse in Europe who lost a kidney during her service. One grandfather was a Marine at Iwo Jima. Another was somewhere in the South Pacific, I believe. I never knew him) and the daughter of a Vietnam veteran/career Air Force non-commissioned officer.

For such a peace-oriented person, the military has always meant a lot to me. It's kind of like a second family--I spent many years of my childhood on Air Force bases around the country. (I unfortunately never got to live or visit outside of the US). And in my own way, I'm pretty patriotic. I really appreciate that the freedoms I have as an American citizen are being and were defended by men and women who have served their country.

On the radio this morning, the disc jockey talked about a young man she'd dated, who at 21 died in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, only 6 weeks after he'd arrived.

There are many stories like his, and others of those who returned, some suffering physical and mental wounds, some changed beyond recognition. With a new war, there are plenty of veterans who need the funding and programmes to support their safety during service and their needs when they return home. So, thank you.

Kentucky has a beautiful Vietnam memorial in Frankfort that is a giant sundial. It was created by architect Helm Roberts. On the anniversary of each Kentucky soldier's death, the shadow of the gnomon falls on his or her name. The Herald-Leader had a nice story about it yesterday (Memorial built with sunshine and shadow). I don't think they keep the stories publicly available past seven days, but if you see this before that, check it out. They explain some of the process of how it works. Oh, and by the way, it happens to be on a wind-swept field next to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, where I worked as an intern one summer and became acquainted with the memorial.

Okay, I'm going to go make my offering and then go to sleep. Good night.

No comments: