Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 06, 2008

I'm so glad I got mine first thing Wednesday morning

I picked up a couple of Lexington Herald-Leader newspapers this morning (hey, I was a history major, I knew this was a momentous occasion and they'd go quickly), one for a friend and one for myself. Good thing I did. When I was at the store working later in the day, dozens of people came looking for papers to no avail, and surrounding stores were out as well. One lady said she'd go cruising neighbourhoods looking for one in a stand.

Apparently Lexington was not alone in this phenomenon, which isn't surprising.

Extra! Extra! Barack Obama's election win sends newspaper sales soaring

Let's face it; I may get my news primarily online, but a newspaper is a tangible piece of history, a document that can be archived (in acid-free materials, of course). A lot of people felt today that they wanted something they could show their grandchildren, something they could touch and remember the moment America elected a president of African descent. It amazes me some of the prices major papers were fetching on eBay. Wow.

Okay, I'm up way too late, and it's back to work at the hospital tomorrow morning. Good night.

No comments: