Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 19, 2007

When I was a kid

my grandmother called my mother and they talked on the phone for awhile, then my mom went back to sleep. I learnt later that they were both asleep at the time and had no memory of the conversation.

Well, today was my turn. My boss had moved my schedule back to 11-8 for today, which I found out when I went in for some gas yesterday. I was pretty disappointed, and I'm sure she could tell. Apparently this morning she looked at the schedule again and realised she had coverage, so she called me at 6:40 am to let me know I didn't have to come in till three.

But I never really got that message, because I was asleep at the time, even though I must have given every indication of being awake. Come 10 am I woke up, and a little before 11 came in and my coworkers were like, what are you doing here? The boss said to tell you to go home if you came in. (Okay, so maybe I didn't sound 100% awake). She said she called you and told you not to come in till three. I thought they were joking at first, but each corraborated the other. So I clocked back out and went home. Sure enough, there was a light blinking for 'new call' from work time stamped 6:40. So what did I do with my newfound freedom? I went back to bed, of course, and got some of my deficit taken care of.

When I went back to work, my boss called, apologising for calling me at 6:30 in the morning and about the schedule issue. I told her I didn't remember a thing and that I'd come in at 11. She asked me if I'd stayed or gone back home, and I told her. Then she was like 'So I called you at 6:30 in the morning for nothing?' which was pretty much true. She was really surprised I hadn't been awake.

Anyway, it was nice to get some extra sleep, especially as I have to get up at 6 am tomorrow (and Tuesday, for that matter), so I should sign off here as well. Good night.

No comments: