Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Can you imagine feeling a quake 1,200 miles away?

Peru Hit by Magnitude 7.9 Quake; 50 People Killed

Hopefully the death toll will not climb higher. A tsunami warning was made but cancelled later. Many of the dead were attending mass at a 16th-century church that collapsed in the town of Ica. State doctors called off a strike to provide emergency services.

I guess the amazing thing for me, too, is just how widespread it was felt. It was felt as far north as Bogata, Colombia and as far south as Coquimbo, Chile.

Scary.

I used to live in California, which is pretty well known for quakes. Kentucky isn't, but...the New Madrid fault that runs where Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas join could prove very damaging to the Commonwealth. In 1812 a quake was so strong it made the Mississippi River run backward and jump positions and was felt as far away as Boston and New York, where bells rang. Oddly enough, in neither state have I felt one, even though I've been through at least three minor ones. Maybe I'm just 'deaf' to earthquakes.

No comments: