Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Today was beautiful in terms of weather

although the Virginia Tech shootings were still very much on people's minds. I noticed people at several tables talking about it at lunch; at ours we seemed to all avoid it, although I did talk a little with one co-worker when I came in this morning, and then I asked the one who went to Virginia Tech how she was doing. She seemed very subdued and stressed.

I did check the online news a couple of times over the course of the day and saw that they'd identified the gunman and some of his victims. For those Koreans who might be reading, I think it would be incredibly stupid of someone to make some racist comment against Koreans or Asians because of this tragedy. But then, one should never underestimate the stupid, I suppose. Just know that the majority of Americans would think no such thing. It sounds like he was a very troubled young man who resisted any overtures of friendship or help, and that's a shame. And in a way, I guess, he was a victim, too. A friend said it best: sometimes there is no bad guy to blame, there is only sadness (I'm paraphrasing, lord knows I'd never remember the exact words, but you get the drift). Another friend asked a question that he heard on the news: Would you feel differently to know that 30 soldiers had been killed in Baghdad rather than 30 people killed at a college campus in the States? I said, no, both were sad and tragedies, and were equally horrific. The only differences I can see are that the soldiers volunteered to go into a war zone, so there is an expectation that they might be killed, whereas those in a classroom have no such expectation and are pretty much innocently minding their own business, and the other difference is that the media will cover the latter much more than they will the former, partly due to distance and partly due to war 'fatigue' in the press and general public. But both cases are equally tragic.

Turning from the tragedy, my day went pretty well. I went to the doctor and he's going to put me on Glucophage XR (once a day), since I've been forgetting to take my nightly dose (all my other meds are in the morning, and I'm also starting a new drug, Januvia. I'm just glad he didn't put me on insulin. They checked my blood there (not with a lancet device mind you, but with the nurse coming in and just jabbing me with a lancet) and it was 177, not bad considering I'd eaten a little before. Then they took blood. The only weird thing was their scale reads 264 lbs(whereas the one I use at the hospital says 287 lbs). I haven't gained any weight since last time apparently. But that's a big difference. Dr Nesbitt says that a new drug is coming out this summer (hopefully) that works on getting your triglycerides in good shape and can cause a 12-20 lb weight loss in a year. He plans on going on it and its sounds like something that would be good for me, too. It apparently targets the 'brown' fat held around the abdomen (making for that deadly apple-shape).

Well, that's all for now. It's getting late and I should sleep.

No comments: