Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I spent most of the evening

watching shows on YouTube from my childhood, like ElectraWoman and DynaGirl, the Secrets of Isis, and a bit of the Bugaloos. I now realise I had a crush on Joy from the Bugaloos as a child, and also on Andrea from Isis (although I also wanted to be her, and even had a plastic jewelry set that included the cow's horns and solar disk of her amulet, so I'd run around in it pretending to be Isis. I also used to pretend to be the Goddess of the Rainbow (I had a rainbow swimdress and would play with one of those sprinkler hoses. So I guess I was destined to be pagan, right?)) Yet I was clueless when it came to sexual orientation as a teen and young adult, even though in retrospect one of my friends made overtures when we were in junior high, and I think I felt threatened for that reason and ended the friendship, explaining it to myself with other reasons.

Of course, I also had crushes on Donny Osmond and Sean Cassidy. Needless to say, I was a sexually confused youngster who'd never heard of gay or bisexual back then.

Anyway, it was great to see them, and I hope to continue watching some more another day. They were so hokey in some ways (it was the 70s--think of the giant ElectraComs on Lori and Judy's wrists) but I loved them then and it brings back wonderful memories of when I was a kid, lost in the world of Saturday morning television. :) Thanks to YKWIA for the fun.

Here's the intro to ElectraWoman and DynaGirl, to give you some idea of the ElectraComs, etc. Note there is a really large tarantula and then snake in the sequence, right before they start singing, for those of you who are phobic. Once the song's lyrics start, you're safe. :)

No comments: