Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Saga of Traffic School

In January, I made the mistake of not putting my headlights on when I left UK's hospital. I paid my fine, signed up for traffic school, yay, right?

Well, it took weeks and I hadn't heard from the state, so I called and they said it wasn't a moving violation (when in fact it is, worth 3 points on my licence). I called the court system to make sure there would be no trouble with any balance on a fine and they informed me that it most certainly was a moving violation and called the state on my behalf and apparently fixed it all with them, so I could go to traffic school. (The clerk even gave me her cell phone number to get in touch with her later. I was impressed.)

Then I finally got a letter that had been sent weeks before informing me that I was not eligible for traffic school because I didn't have a driver's licence (which, in fact, I do). That pre-dated the fix we'd put into place, so I waited a couple of days and i got another letter from the Transportation Cabinet about signing up for traffic school, the locations, how to pay, etc. Yay!

Yesterday I got a letter from the court system saying that the state said I was ineligible because I didn't have a driver's licence and so I still owed $20 and had a court date for later this month to pay it by or show up for.

So today I called, got put on hold, got bumped off hold, called back, got disconnected again, and then finally got a hold of a person who cancelled the court date and I should be okay. In the midst of making all the dang phone calls, I went online and enrolled in traffic school. So I should be going within a month or so. (No, the saga's not quite over).

But it's a little closer to the end, hopefully.

No comments: