Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 23, 2007

Interesting

Women may have invented weapons

Scientists have found that not only do chimpanzees use tools to hunt other primates, the ones who tend to do this are largely female and occasionally immature males--the ones that, being smaller, cannot kill as easily with their bare hands.

There's been a tendency to believe that men, who historically are associated with weapons, must have been the originators of the tools. But this study suggests that women may, indeed, have created tools for hunting and war.

Which bears out my theory that big guys who think they're invulnerable just need one bullet in them from a small woman to equalise things. (Not that I'm advocating it; I just remember one of my former friends who was 6'5", really big, and who thought no one would mess with him because of his size--which would be good, as I rather doubt he'd do well in a fight size or no--but I pointed out that all it would take is a gun and his theory would go out the window. He couldn't really argue with that.)

No comments: