Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 23, 2007

Well, it's certainly a tradition

Prince Harry to be sent to Iraq with regiment

for the second son to be involved in war or the priesthood, if you look at the history of European kingship. For that matter, most mediaeval kings served directly in wars. William has also received military training at Sandhurst and has followed his brother into the same regiment, but I doubt he'd be allowed to go on such a mission--certainly not a ground troop like Harry. Still, I might be wrong. Regardless, I think it's a good thing for them to serve. These princes more than any other British prince have experienced the life of their people, and this is one additional arena. If the troops are going to be there (and of course you know I don't think they should be in this particular war), it seems the princes may get to see firsthand what it's like, which should be good for their character and for their future potential as kings. But then, I'm just an American with a background in mediaeval history. I'm not sure what my opinion counts for.

No comments: