Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 23, 2007

Oh my. Did I mention this is a sickness?

Which is bad enough when you live alone, but with children???

New York Cops Find Stomach-Churning Squalor

This is far beyond the clutter that plagues many hoarders' lives. This included hundreds of bottles of urine, used toilet tissue, etc. Authorities are investigating whether the children, ages ranging from 10-14, have adequate food, heat, and shelter. It looks like the house was unheated as well. The discovery came during a custody dispute and bitter divorce.

I can say with some degree of certainty that the woman in this case really has no idea of the scope of this problem. She probably recognises that there is mess, and may be embarrassed by the idea of anyone coming into the house, but beyond that there is a kind of denial that really sets in until you are confronted with cold, hard facts and cannot lie to yourself any more. For me, it was an article on hoarding and the similarity between the pictures with my house. For her, it may be having her children taken away from her.

But my God, this is such a dire case. All I can say is that I'm glad it's being investigated. Perhaps the hoarder will get counseling and help, and the children need to be out of this environment.

No comments: