Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Well, damn

I decided to go ahead and eat something before leaving the house this morning rather than getting something at work, which means, of course, checking my blood sugar first. It's 190, even though I've taken my meds and been pretty good about my diet (okay, I did have a cookie at dinner, but that was hours ago). Grrrr.

Of course, my blood sugar rises when I go for any length of time without eating, so maybe it'll help to go ahead and have breakfast and get the insulin circulating. I hope so.

Can I just say that it sort of sucks to have to test blood sugar every day (and yes, I'm glad I'm not having to do it more often). My fingers are like pincushions. And yes, I alternate which ones I do. I just hope that one day we'll look back and think, 'well, that was a barbaric practice suitable for the Dark Ages'. They've already got a watch that uses an electric charge to test blood sugar rather than bloodletting, and an inhaled form of insulin rather than injected. It just takes awhile for those sorts of technologies to reach the market. In the meantime I'm using 30 gauge lancets, which are pretty fine, to minimise discomfort. Okay, enough of the whigning.

No comments: