Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 03, 2006

Adding to the list of things otherwise educated people do

that really bug me. Today someone wrote on one of the lists I read: 'something peaked my interest'. It should be piqued. Another wrote 'right' rather than 'write'. Nevermind the loose/lose problem or things like a professor who once said 'epi-tome' (as in a book tome) rather than 'epi-to-me' (as in rhymes with me, or hyperbole) [see my rant from a few days ago]. :)

Granted, I'm not blameless. I often have to think about whether something lays or lies, for example. But in writing I guess I expect people to get it right, and especially homonyms just screw with people's attempts to express themselves intelligently. I'm sure if I ever become emperor of the world (or in my case, more likely the handmaiden and librarian of the emperor of the world), we'll get rid of homonyms altogether.

Why do I rant here? Because I can. It's my little corner of the Internet, a tabula rasa for me to express whatever I want, and that way I don't get into the etiquette vs. truth issues of correcting someone publically. I know, it's not like someone elected me the grammar police. But, gee, can we just have a little proofreading out there?

No comments: