Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 21, 2003

Today so far



What I'm listening to at work: Gaelic Voices (at the moment Niamh Parsons' 'Fear a Bhata'.
Good things of the day so far: 1. Payday. 2. Getting a lift from Dwana as I was coming in. Today's Unshelved warmed the cockles of my little Trekker (not Trekkie) heart. I love hortas!!!
Plans: Now that I've gotten my catalogue and interlibrary loan tracking databases on my handheld, I need to do a requisition for the actual program. (DataViz' SmartList to Go--highly recommend this; it has a lot of easy plug-ins, including for barcode tracking. :) Also have a request for an article we're lacking. Later, I need to go to the credit union. I'm considering taking off tomorrow and giving the house a good cleaning tomorrow. It's driving me crazy, and my mom is coming up on Saturday. Granted, she knows I'm a slob, but I'm also a slob bothered by messiness. Go figure...

Oh, I forgot to write last night about three nifty things. Yesterday morning I heard/watched a woodpecker (relatively quiet one, actually) going after some insects in some of the deadwood left from our ice storm. Lots of other little birds were ready to pounce at anything it left. I love the variety of wildlife we get in my little pocket of Lexington, because of the reservoir and woods.

Also, we went to Rincon Mexicano to celebrate a co-worker's birthday (she wanted a good margarita). I hadn't eaten there in awhile. Very yummy, and only mild tummy trouble afterwards (thank goodness for Tums).

Also, I got my Archaeology magazine and it shows, proof positive, that British pagans can be just as batty as their American counterparts. A guy who thinks he's Arthur Pendragon? Shakes head. I sometimes feel like I shouldn't even tell people I'm pagan. Most people don't draw a distinction between things like neo-Pagan vs. Pagan or Wiccan vs. Witch (and no, they're really not the same things) and I'm just one of those in the minority who tend to ground my beliefs in traditions and what we do know of ancient practices, rather than making it up as I go along. I'm not so hidebound that I don't see room for innovation, but still, I guess I'm just a fundamentalist. And no, I wouldn't be dancing on top of the stones at Stonehenge (the article is on trying to strike a balance between sites as sacred spaces and archaeological treasures). I care too much about the integrity of the site for that. I also think it's generally a bad idea to be in the centre of a monolith during a holiday with lots of gyrating people feeding it chaotically--since yes, I do believe in magic, and yes, I do believe the sites are sacred, and I do believe it's real, rather than an excuse to play dress up and party. But that's just me. I'm a pagan stick-in-the-mud, I guess.

That's all for now. I've passed on worthwhile stuff from my e-mail, and taken a small break, and now it's time to tackle that requisition so that I can then tackle database manipulation for the Palm OS.

Let me tell you, I love the SmartList to Go. It's much easier than some of the others I've tried in terms of using a barcode module in the Handspring Visor. I now have all my books at my fingertips, and I've got another database for tracking in ILL orders, receipt, and delivery, again using the barcode. Much better than writing all of that done, or worse, just collecting files upon files of requests with no ready access to the statistics. I love being a handheld librarian. :)

No comments: