Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 29, 2003

F R I D A Y


1. Are you going to school this year?
Probably. Not this semester, but hopefully next I'll be finishing up my last year for my PhD.

2. If yes, where are you going (high school, college, etc.)? If no, when did you graduate?
University of Kentucky

3. What are/were your favorite school subjects?
History, languages, any of the social sciences, humanities, English

4. What are/were your least favorite school subjects?
Algebra. I was a geometry-kind-of-girl. Statistics for business and economics (couldn't I have worked the one for social sciences into my schedule?) Governing and binding theory (which you'd think I'd like, being linguistics, but no, it was terribly tedious).

5. Have you ever had a favorite teacher? Why was he/she a favorite?
Hmmm....of the official ones...Mr Amos at Belle Plaine once spent 45 minutes coaching me to stand on my head in gym. He was very patient with the uncoordinated brainy types. He also had a great assignment called a 'Famous Amos' test that essentially gave us a chance to do creative writing and get some extra points. Also, my long-time advisor, Dr E. Randolph Daniel for sheer staying power. And I loved George Cunha, who helped found preservation management in this country and who was this chemist-turned retired sea captain-turned conservator-turned teacher who was teaching Four-Week in his 80s. I've been pretty lucky with my teachers all together. The person who taught me the most about life, philosophy, etc., etc., however is more of a mentor than an official teacher, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

No comments: